The Town of Reading offers the following benefits to employees working a regular schedule of 20 or more hours per week. Employees must apply within 30 days of the date of hire.
Health & Dental Insurance
These are term insurance and do not accumulate cash value.
Life Insurance Plans
- Basic Life Insurance (PDF) in the amount of $5,000 with an employee contribution of 50% ($4.18/month).
- *Voluntary Life Insurance (PDF) in increments of $10,000 and monthly rates are based on the age group.
*Eligible employees must be enrolled in Basic Life Insurance in order to be eligible to enroll in the Voluntary Life Insurance.
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Care FSA - up $3,050 in pre-tax dollars to pay for unreimbursed out-of-pocket medical or dental expenses.
- Dependent Care FSA - up to $5,000 pre-tax may be set for dependent care expenses.
- 457 Plan (PDF) - It is a plan that allows employees to invest in their retirement while Federal and state income taxes are deferred until the employee is ready to withdraw the funds.
- OBRA (PDF) - This plan is designed specifically for employees who are part-time, temporary or seasonal and therefore are not covered under the Town's retirement or MTRS system. This plan was adopted as an alternative to the Social Security System.
- 403(b)Plan (PDF) - A 403(b) plan is a retirement account for certain employees of public schools.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
MIIA offers this as a free service provided for you and your household members by the Town of Reading. This program offers confidential counseling, free legal and financial consultation, referrals to resources such as child/elder care, parent support, amongst others. These services are completely confidential and can be easily accessed 24/7.