Signage Information

All signs must meet Reading's Sign Bylaws 6.2
All signs require a Sign Permit
In the Business B Zoning District*, before a sign permit can be issued, all signs must be reviewed and approved by the Community Planning & Development Commission (CPDC). Click here for the two page sign application form. Plan on applying four weeks ahead of having the sign installed. It takes 3 weeks from the submission of a complete application to the approval from the CPDC. It takes an additional week for the Building Inspector to review the application and issue a sign permit. If the CPDC has already been granted what is referred to as a "Certificate of Appropriateness" for a sign, and you are only making a minor change to it, the sign may be eligible for Administrative Approval.
A-frame / sandwich board signs are now allowed in Business-B zoning district with the issuance of an annual license by the Board of Selectmen. Click for the A frame sign regulations and the application form to be submitted to the Town Manager's office.

Click for Reading's Window Sign Regulations

Click for a handout explaining Reading's Sign Lighting Regulations

Temporary Signs: If you are opening a business and need signage sooner, apply for a temporary sign permit. It takes only a few days to get a permit for a temporary sign if the right information is submitted with the application (use the standard sign permit application). Temporary signs are good for 14 days, can be as large as 16 square feet, and must be printed or legibly lettered on rigid sign board or fabric banner. The temporary sign must be placed so that it does not affect vehicular or pedestrian traffic. A business is allowed one temporary sign three times per year.

If you have any questions, please contact the Staff Planner:

Staff Planner
Phone: 781-942-6648

*Business B District includes:  Downtown Reading, Salem Street at Torre Street & Bay State Road and Main Street at Franklin Street