NEW: The Red Cross will be holding a blood drive at The Reading Masonic Hall, 110 Haven Street on April 29, 2020 and May 27, 2020
For questions about the Reading's response to COVID-19 and the State of Emergency, or for other Reading-specific questions:
CALL US 781-942-6680 and choose a mailbox to leave a message for human/elder related help, to volunteer, to ask a general question, or to register for CodeRED alerts.
- Press 1 – if you need non-urgent help
- Press 2 – if you are willing to volunteer to help
- Press 3 - if you have a general non-urgent question
- Press 4 – to subscribe to Code Red alert system
- Press 5 – if you have concerns or questions about a local business reopening
Please direct emails to addresses below: We will respond Monday - Thursday 7:30 - 4:30 PM. We will get back to you as soon as possible, but depending on the volume of questions, our response may be delayed. Please include your name, street address, phone number along with your question or concern.
- GENERAL QUESTIONS: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IF YOU NEED HELP RELATED TO HUMAN/ELDER SERVICES: email@example.com
- IF YOU WISH TO VOLUNTEER: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a customer or employee of a local business with Reopening concerns or questions for the Board of Health: covid-19reopeningBOH@ci.reading.ma.us
If you have a personal health-related concern or question, you should contact your doctor’s office.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE POLICE DISPATCH CENTER UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY. Our Public Safety Dispatchers are a critical part of our public safety team and not a general information center.
For other COVID-19 or State of Emergency questions, please contact Massachusetts 2-1-1:
- ONLINE: Go to the Massachusetts 2-1-1 website for a live chat
- BY PHONE: Call 2-1-1 to reach the Massachusetts COVID-19 Information and Referral Hotline.
- The call center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- All calls are free and confidential.
- Interpreter services are available in multiple languages.
How to Help Out
- Donate to the Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund.
- Volunteer opportunities for health professionals
- Volunteer for the new Community Tracing Collaborative by visiting the PIH Ma-Response page Or DIRECT link to recruiter web.
- Donate or sell personal protective equipment
- Health care facilities can learn more about requesting personal protective equipment
- Apply for Jobs at COVID-19 Temporary Care Sites
As you are aware, the COVID-19 virus has caused the cancellation of blood drives across the Commonwealth. There is an urgent need now. The Governor has deemed “Blood and plasma donors and the employees of the organizations that operate and manage related activities” as an essential service. Your support is needed to communicate to your residents that the need is urgent, and donating is a necessity to supply the hospitals with the blood our neighbors require. Donating blood is safe and people should not hesitate to give. In addition, there is a need for community blood drive sites in the eastern part of the state. Identifying donation sites is vital to meet the demand as we go forward. Your local knowledge, suggestions of sites, and potential partners are crucial to meeting the needs of our neighbors who need blood and blood products. To schedule a new blood drive contact Bill Forsyth at (617) 699-3808 or at email William.Forsyth@redcross.org.
Those who are healthy, feeling well and eligible to give blood or platelets, are urged to make an appointment to donate as soon as possible by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).