Project Website - Click to visit the MassDOT project website
MassDOT Schedules Temporary Overnight Lane Closures on Main Street (Route 28)
Lane closures occurring to install temporary roadway markings
READING -The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing that there will be temporary overnight lane closures on Main Street (Route 28) in Reading. The lane closures are scheduled to occur in overnight hours only, beginning each evening at 8:00 p.m., on Tuesday, May 26, Wednesday, May 27, Thursday, May 28 and Sunday, May 31, and ending at 5:00 a.m. the following day. A minimum of one travel lane in each direction will remain open to traffic at all times.
The closures are necessary to allow the contractor, D&R General Contracting, Inc., to safely and effectively install temporary pavement markings as part of the implementation of a road diet pilot on Main Street (Route 28) from Salem Street northerly to the Reading/North Reading town line.
Police details will be used to direct traffic on Main Street and the affected intersections along with appropriate signage.
Drivers who are traveling through the affected areas should expect delays, reduce speed, and use caution.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
The work is part of a $5.6 million resurfacing and improvement project along sections of Route 28 (Main Street). For more information about the project, visit the project website: www.mass.gov/route-28-in-reading-resurfacing-and-road-diet-pilot.
For more information on traffic conditions travelers are encouraged to:
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
- Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information, and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
- Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.
NOTICE: ROAD PAINTING TONIGHT (THURSDAY, April 23): In response to public feedback and input from our Town of Reading partners and the project team, MassDOT will reconfigure the pavement markings on Main Street near Minot Street to improve the path of travel for thru-traffic and access to nearby driveways. The project team will work overnight from Thursday, April 23 to Friday April 24 to install the new pavement markings in that area. Drivers are reminded to pay attention to all signage and pavement markings and move carefully through the corridor.
WATCH the Main Street Project Presentation Beginning Sunday, April 19, 2020 on RCTV: (Comcast channel 9, Verizon Channel 31)
- Sunday, 4/19 - 10:00am, 5:30pm, 7:30pm
- Monday, 4/20 - 6:00am, 5:30pm, 11:30pm
- Tuesday, 4/21 - 8:00am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm
- Wednesday 4/22 - 11:00am, 4:30pm, 10:30pm
- Thursday, 4/23 - 8:00am, 6:30pm
- Friday, 4/24 - 1:00pm, 10:30pm
- Saturday, 4/25 - 10:30am, 12:30pm, 8:00pm
Send Your Feedback!
- Interactive Mapping Tool to Submit a Comment to Project Team
- MassDOT wants YOUR feedback: Email the project team: Route28Pilot@dot.state.ma.us
Brief Project Description:
North and South Main Street (State Route 28) in Reading needs to be repaved and restriped. As part of the work, MassDOT will test and evaluate a road diet to improve safety and access along the roadway. The resurfacing work and road diet pilot will take place on two state-owned sections of Main Street/ Route 28 from the North Reading town line to Charles Street and from the Ash Street train tracks south to the I-95 interchange. The road diet involves lane reconfigurations that will change from four lanes, two in each direction, to one lane in each direction, and a center turning lane. Note: this page was updated to reflect that bicycle lanes are no longer a part of this project.
Please note that only the highlighted portions are impacted with this project. Reading Square, including street parking in that area, will not be impacted.