The Town Forest (which is under the control of the Town Forest Committee) is a 290 acre site located in the northwestern part of town. It can be accessed by main entrances on Fox Run Lane (off of Franklin St.) and Strout Ave (off of Grove St.). There is an additional entrance at the end of Roma Lane. Street parking is available off of Fox Run Ln. and along Grove St., in front of Strout Ave (this road is usually chained off to general traffic).
The Town Forest has an extensive trail system, many of which are fairly flat roads. Most of these trails are suitable for walks or bikes, but be aware that many trails go through swampy areas that may be wet and muddy, depending on the time of year. There are a few camping sites utilized by local Boy Scout troops, but please take note that camping is by permit only (see General Rules and Information). A cross-country ski trail was recently set up, marked by signs such as this one and blue ribbons.
Among the many natural features of the Town Forest are large Pine trees, numerous vernal pools, and part of the Ipswich River.
The Town Forest was created in April, 1930 when over 100,000 red and white pine, spruce, balsam, and scotch pine trees were planted by local Boy Scouts and other interested citizens. The "pine plantations" are now mature forests, over 60 years old. Many species of birds and animals live in the town forest currently, and the acidic soil allows pink and white ladyslippers to grow here.