Eastern Gateway Initiatives
Priority Development Area Goals
These initiatives are guided by the Reading Economic Development Action Plan (EDAP) 2016-2022, which recommends the following actions for the Town to pursue in this geographic area:
- Adopt local policies and practices that will facilitate compact development and mixed-use in transit accessible areas
- Enhance walkability and connectivity within and between priority redevelopment areas
- Build community and activate public spaces through cultural economic development and placemaking initiatives
- Attract and retain existing local businesses
- Brand and market Reading to attract new investment and customers
- Promote public/private partnerships and collaboration to maximize
Click on the project tabs to learn more about each Eastern Gateway initiative.
The Town of Reading hired Gamble Associates, an urban design consultant, to work with Town staff to lead a community visioning process for the New Crossing Road Redevelopment District priority redevelopment
The goal of this project is to engage in a public visioning and planning process with a goal to develop urban design scenarios and market analysis to explore the viability these scenarios. The urban design and planning team will facilitate a public process and develop a vision for what mixed-use development might look like in this area to meet current and future community needs. This urban design process is funded by a competitive Massachusetts Housing Choice Community Grant, which the Town Economic Development and Planning Division received.
Documents and Presentations
- Gamble Associates Conceptual Design Presentation (PDF)
- The Yard Design Summary Poster (PDF)
- Presentation Recording - Economic Development Summit
This initiative was funded by the Massachusetts Housing Choice Technical Assistance grant.