1. Rebates are available for the following items:
a. High-Efficiency (HE) Clothes Washers - $200 per washer. See list for qualifying models.
b. Ultra Low-Flush Toilet (1.6 gallons per flush maximum). Rebates are available for purchases, permits, and installation costs, up to $120 per toilet.
c. Moisture sensor for irrigation system ‚ up to $25 per sensor.
d. Rain Barrel - $25 per Great American Rain Barrel.
2. Only customers of the Town of Reading are eligible for a rebate.
3. Only fixtures and equipment that meet qualifying standards and are purchased and installed on or after July 1, 2003 are eligible for a rebate.
4. Toilets MUST replace a non-water saving toilet (3.5 or more gallons per flush) to be eligible for a rebate.
5. Toilets purchased and installed in new construction projects or room additions do not qualify for a rebate. Also, replacing an existing ultra low-flush model with another does not qualify for the rebate.
6. All new toilet installations require a plumbing permit from the Town.
7. All rebate applications must include as proof of purchase: an original, unaltered and dated sales receipt with brand and model number on the receipt. A copy of the approved plumbing permit application must accompany rebate applications for low-flush toilets.
8. Fixtures and equipment must be installed in a property in the Town of Reading, whose owner and/or resident is a customer of the Town of Reading Water Department.
9. Participants agree to an installation verification visit by the Reading Department of Public Works or its agent. If no approved fixture/equipment is found at the verification site visit, the rebate application will be denied.
10. As required by the IRS, the Town will issue an IRS form 1099 to those customers receiving rebates of $600 or more per calendar year.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A REBATE
1. Purchase and install one or more of the qualifying water conservation fixtures/equipment.
2. Complete and return the application and documentation to the Town of Reading, Department of Public Works, 16 Lowell Street, Reading, MA, 01867, Attn: Water Conservation Program.
3. Enclose original receipts along with the application and a copy of the plumbing permit for toilet rebates. Incomplete applications will be returned to the customer resulting in delay of rebate processing.
4. A site visit will be scheduled to verify the installation of fixtures.
5. Rebate checks will be sent within 4-8 weeks of receipt, approval of completed application and verification by a site visit.
6. Rebates will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, until funds run out or the program terminates, whichever comes first.
For questions or clarification regarding the rebate program, please call the
REBATE PROGRAM HOTLINE at 781-942-9077