RECONSTRUCTION OF WEST STREET READING, MASSACHUSETTS
MASSDOT PROJECT FILE NUMBER 601705
MassDOT Construction Update
MassDOT opened bids for the West St. Reconstruction Project on Sept. 30, 2014, and the Contract was awarded to Newport Construction. Construction is expected to begin towards the end of April, 2015. A public informational meeting will be held on Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 7:00pm at the Parker Middle School auditorium. Please see the link below for nore detailed information regarding the informational hearing. Detours, road closures, and delays should be expected during construction. The Engineering Division will continue to update this website before and during construction as information becomes available.
The West Street project which is bid and managed by MassDOT began active construction on May 4, 2015.
As of Thursday, July 28, 2016 the following work has occurred:
- Trimmed and removed trees necessary for the Project.
- Utility crews have relocated utility poles and are in the process of transferring cables.
- The short section of Willow Street which runs between Summer Avenue and West Street, alongside the grassed island was permanently closed to all traffic.
- The contractor has completed installing approximately 5,900 feet of drainage on West Street from the West / Willow / Summer Avenue intersection to South Street.
- The contractor installed approximately 200 feet of drainage on Howard Street, up to the West Street intersection.
- The Contractor has installed new catch basins along the new drainage system.
- West Street form Longwood Road to the Woburn City line has been reclaimed and received the first course of pavement.
- The contractor has installed concrete sidewalks on West Street in the vicinity of Arcadia Avenue.
- The contractor has installed the concrete foundations and poles for the new traffic signal mast arms along West Street and at the Woburn Street \ Summer Avenue intersection.
- The contractor has installed granite curb between Longwood Road and Border Road.
- The contractor has installed most of the traffic signal conduit within the project.
- The contractor has installed retaining walls at various locations throughout the project.
- The contractor has installed new hydrants throughout the project.
- The contractor has installed some of the forms for the concrete sidewalks.
- The contractor began installing some of the concrete sidewalks and driveway aprons (Arcadia Ave. to the Woburn City line).
Beginning the week of August 1, 2016 the following work is anticipated:
Continue installing forms and prepping sidewalk areas for concrete (Arcadia Ave. to Woburn City Line).
Continue pouring concrete sidewalks, driveway aprons, and handicap ramps (Arcadia Ave to Woburn City Line).
The installation of the new traffic signals and equipment will continue.
Continue raising manholes and water gates (Longwood Road to the Woburn City line)
Continue milling roadway areas on West Street (Longwood Road to the Woburn City Line) including all abutting side streets, as well as the intersection of Woburn Street and Summer Ave.
ROAD RESURFACING STATUS UPDATE:
The contractor is scheduled to begin installing the final layer of pavement on West Street, beginning at the Woburn City Line, on Monday, August 8. The paving will then continue the remainder of the week, weather permitting, to approximately 387 West Street. Residents will receive more information next week regarding what will be occurring each day. DETOURS SHOULD BE EXPECTED. Residents will receive more information next week on what these detour routes will entail.
Proposed Construction Phases
•Phase 1 - Longwood Road to Winslow Road / King Street
•Phase 2 - Winslow Road / King Street to Howard Street
•Phase 3 - Howard Street to Border Road
In each phase the contractor will first install new drainage which will then be followed by the reclamation of the existing roadway surface and the installation of the first layer of pavement.
The installation of new curbing, sidewalks, new traffic signals and the final surfaces of roadway pavement will then follow.
The entire project includes approximately 7,500 feet (1.4 miles) along West Street and an additional 2,500 feet (.5 mile) along the intersecting side streets for a total project length of approximately 10,000 feet (1.9 miles). The project includes upgrading and new traffic signals at West Street/Woburn Street/Wescroft Road, West Street/Willow Street/Summer Avenue, West Street/King Street/Winslow Road and Summer Avenue/Woburn Street intersections
The project is expected to take 2 years to complete and detours are anticipated throughout the project duration.
The Town will hold weekly meetings with MassDOT and their contractor Newport Construction to discuss the projects progress and the upcoming weeks planned construction.
Residents who would like to be included in weekly emails regarding the project status should forward their email to:
Chris Cole, Staff Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan Percival, Town Engineer at email@example.com
MassDOT PROJECT LOCATION AND LIMITS
The project includes the West Street Corridor from the Woburn City Line to just north of its intersection with Willow Street in Reading, Massachusetts. Improvements to the intersection of Woburn Street at Summer Avenue are also included as part of the project. The project limits along the corridor extend approximately 7,500 feet (1.4 miles) along West Street and an additional 2,500 feet (.5 mile) along the intersecting side streets for a total project length of approximately 10,000 feet (1.9 miles).
Construction is anticipated to begin Spring 2014. Additional information will follow shortly as it becomes available.