Firearms Licensing, Hunting & Mace

Firearms Licensing    

Licensing Authority: James W. Cormier, Chief of Police
Licensing Officer: Justin Martel
Licensing Desk: (781) 942-6766
Licensing E-Mail:
Applying for an FID Card, Restricted FID Card, Licence to Carry a Firearm, or License to Possess a Machine Gun
In order to apply for one of the above-listed licenses you must complete and submit the following application:
Please Note: There remains a significant waiting period in firearms processing times. Currently, the processing time from the date of your appointment to when you physically receive your license is 3 months.
How Does the Process Work?
In order to apply for a License to Carry a Firearm, FID Card, Restricted FID Card, or License to Possess a Machine Gun you must fill out the above application completely, honestly, and accurately and drop it off at the station marked to the attention of "Firearms Licensing Officer." You will be contacted to arrange for an appointment to come in and have your photographs and prints taken as well as have a final application uploaded into the state's MIRCS licensing system. Please include your cell phone number to assist in getting in touch with you to schedule an appointment. Once uploaded into the MIRCS system a background check is completed which consists of a fingerprint record check conducted by the State Police and the FBI, a mental health check conducted by DMH, and a suitability and criminal records check conducted by the Reading Police Department. Based on the findings, applicants are either denied or approved and are formally notified of the outcome by mail. At the present time, processing from when you come in for your appointment to when you physically receive your license or your denial letter is taking about 3 months. As such, we strongly reccomend all renewals schedule an appointment several months in advance of their current expiration date.
When Are Appointments Conducted?
Appointments are generally conducted Tuesdays at 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:00PM and 3:00PM and occassionaly on Wednesday evenings at 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 8:00 PM, and 9:00 PM. We are currently booking about 1 month out.
Change of Address Notification
Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, sections 129B and 131 states "a cardholder shall notify the licensing authority that issued such firearms license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves, and the commissioner of the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services of any change of address within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to notify any of these entities shall be cause for revocation or suspension of the license." You can download the offical change of address notification form by clicking here.
Hunting Licenses & Information About Hunting
The agency that regulates hunting in Massachusetts is the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife. The Division headquarters is located at 251 Causeway Street, Suite 400 in Boston and may be reached by telephone at (617) 626-1590. General questions regarding hunting licenes, technical hunting information, wildlife management areas, etc. should be directed at the Division.
The Massachusetts Enviornmental Police is the lead law enforcement agency relative to hunting and wild game and may be reached at (800) 632-8075. Emergencies or calls requiring immediate resolution should still be processed through the 911 system and a Reading police officer will respond.